How Many NC Barber Shops Want to Cut the Death Penalty?
August 8, 2012
Live in North Carolina?
You know that little ma ‘n pa shop in your town that you love to go to?
Well, there’s a good chance that Beto Bravo has been there too.
Except Beto’s been shopping for something entirely different.
Since starting with People of Faith Against the Death Penalty as a Jesuit Volunteer community organizer last August, Beto has journeyed all across North Carolina to help expand our grassroots base for repealing the death penalty.
Beto has walked in cold to thousands of businesses and asked their owners to publicly call the death penalty out for the brutalizing, racist, classist, error-prone, relic-of-our-past sin that it is.
And guess what? Hundreds of businesses have done just that:
In fact, more than 800 NC businesses and congregations have passed PFADP’s repeal resolutions. Beto garnered more than 600 resolutions himself.
- Elk Pharmacy in Elkin, Denton Pharmacy in Oriental, and Overman & Stevenson Pharmacist in Elizabeth City have prescribed repealing the death penalty.
- The General’s Store in Washington, Trenton Market in Trenton, and PR Moore's Produce in Biscoe have decided not to stock executions.
- Hayesville Printing, Print Products in Louisburg, and NufCed Shirt & Print Company in Statesville are not font of the death penalty.
- The Daily Grind & Wine in Murphy, Heinzelmännchen Brewery in Sylva, and Salud Beer Shop in Charlotte have decided that the death penalty has passed its prime.
- Clemons Barber Shop in Hickory, Tony’s Barbershop in Durham, and 130 other barber shops and hair salons in North Carolina want to cut the death penalty.
Thanks to these businesses and Beto and our other staff and volunteers in recent years we have a base of support for repeal unlike anywhere in the country.
In every one of North Carolina’s 100 counties community leaders are calling for repeal.
This is just the beginning.
But Beto’s year of service with PFADP comes to a close this week.
Please take a moment and give a donation to PFADP to ensure we will be able to continue the momentum that Beto has gifted to all of us.
Would you give a penny or a dime for every resolution we have so far? That would be $8.22 or $82.20.
We really need your support – it’s all we have to keep going.
We’ll be back in touch about other ways you can help – we have lots of ideas, and we want to know yours.
Thanks for your support.
And thank you, Beto.